Please read the following information before proceeding to schedule your driver’s license/ID appointment with the Tama County Treasurer’s Office.
To schedule an appointment for a drive test in Tama County, you must call the Tama County Treasurer’s Office at 641-484-3141 during business hours. Online scheduling is not available for drive tests.
REAL ID (gold star)
The REAL ID (gold star) effective date is set for May 7, 2025. If you fly commercially or need access to federal facilities, you’ll either need a REAL ID license or ID or another acceptable identity document, or you’re going to be subject to additional screening and potential delays following the May 7, 2025 deadline.
In order to qualify for the Real ID (gold star) license/ID you must present the following documents:
A proof of identity document (ONE of the three documents below)
Proof of social security number document (ONE of the following documents)
- Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or U.S. passport card
- Certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state of the United States. ("State" includes the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.) It must be a certified copy bearing the issuing authorities certification of authenticity. A hospital-issued certificate is not acceptable.
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (Form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545); or a Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550, N-570 or N-578); or a Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560, N-561 or N-645); or an Unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551), including an I-94 with attached photo stamped "I-551 Temporary Proof of Lawful Permanent Resident" or a foreign passport stamped "Processed for I-551"; or an Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766); or a Record of Arrival and Departure (I-94) stamped "Refugee" or "Asylee"; or an Unexpired foreign passport accompanied by an I-94 Record of Arrival/Departure.
- Social Security card
- W-2 form
- Social Security Administration 1099 form
- Non-Social Security Administration 1099 form
- Pay stub
- IRS form 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095-C
- Bank statement
- Military document
- Any other document listing your name and your full Social Security number (not just the last four digits)
Proof of address documents. (TWO of the following documents that show your current name and current Iowa residential address. The address must be a physical address where you reside and not a post office box. Some examples are below.)
- An envelope, box, postcard or magazine that includes a postmark or stamped date
- Iowa voter registration card
- Valid Iowa vehicle registration certificate
- Valid insurance card or certificate of coverage (life, health, auto, homeowner's or renter's)
- Second valid insurance card or certificate of coverage (different than the first)
- Utility hookup or bill (water, gas, electric, or garbage removal)
- Second utility hookup or bill (different than the first)
- Telephone hookup, service agreement or bill (landline or mobile)
- Statement from a financial institution (bank, credit union, or other financial institution)
- Second statement from a financial institution (different than the first)
- Credit, debit, or charge card statement
- Iowa residential mortgage, lease or rental agreement (lease and rental agreements must include the landlord's name and contact information)
- Application for homestead tax credit for Iowa residential property
- Application for military tax credit for Iowa residential property
- Valid real estate tax statement or receipt for Iowa residential property
- Pay stub from your employer
- Current school enrollment papers for a dependent child in an Iowa school
- A federal, State of Iowa or local government document (such as a receipt, license, permit, assessment, or other document)
- Iowa DL or ID card that has not been expired for more than one year
Create or customized list of the documents you will need to bring with you.
For additional information about the REAL ID (gold star), visit the REAL ID page on the Iowa DOT website.
If you are not sure what documents you need to bring or what requirements you need to satisfy for your driver’s license/ID appointment, please call the Tama County Treasurer’s Office at 641-484-3141.
Tama County Copyright 2023