Frequently Asked Questions
Resources & ServicesAlert Iowa EMA Commission Hazard Mitigation Plan Links & Resources Preparedness FAQ Department Home
What can I do to avoid getting caught in a flood situation?
Follow these safety rules:
- Monitor the NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards, or your favorite news source for vital weather related information.
- If flooding occurs, get to higher ground. Get out of areas subject to flooding. This includes dips, low spots, canyons, washes etc.
- Avoid areas already flooded, especially if the water is flowing fast. Do not attempt to cross flowing streams. Turn Around Don't Drown
- Road beds may be washed out under flood waters. NEVER drive through flooded roadways. Turn Around Don't Drown
- Do not camp or park your vehicle along streams and washes, particularly during threatening conditions.
- Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.
Remember - Turn around, don't drown!
Each year, more deaths occur due to flooding than from any other severe weather related hazard. The main reason is people underestimate the force and power of water. More than half of all flood related deaths result from vehicles being swept downstream. Of these, many are preventable.