Maternal Health Program
FREE for Tama County Residents!
Expecting a Baby?? Whether this is your first pregnancy or your second or third, we can assist you!
Having a baby can be very exciting but also very confusing. Our Maternal Health program will help you to prepare for this time of your life with education, support and resouces throughout your entire pregnancy and afterwards.
This program offers an extra layer of support to your regular prenatal visits by helping address issues that may come up during your pregnancy and assist in ensuring a safe, healthy pregnancy.
Visits can be scheduled once a trimester and after you deliver, as needed.
In-person interpreters or language line is available.
We offer a Registered Nurse that can help you with:
- Free pregnancy testing
- Help locating a healthcare provider
- Assistance with financial application (Medicaid) for pregnancy costs
- Pregnancy Education
- Discussions regarding physical and emotional changes during and after pregnancy
- Prenatal vitamins
- Nutrition/Diet Education
- Access to the Tama County Nest
- National Child Safety Certified Car Seat Technician and offer car seat safety checks/installation
- Certified Lactation Consultant offering breastfeeding support and education
- Assistance with organizing prenatal care
- Referrals to Community Resources for food, clothing, housing, mental health and heat assistance
- Dental referrals as needed
- Assistance with car seat installation
- Home visit for both Mom and Baby with assessment and education
The Nest Program
The Nest program believes that prenatal care and education is the singularly most important factor to help ensure the birth of a healthy baby. By providing an incentive program, we hope to encourage earlier entry into the health care system, resulting in education and awareness and improving the chances of healthy birth outcomes.
Classes are held each month, with a different theme, to educate parents on issues such as: birth defects, dental health in children and expectant mothers, mental health in children, breastfeeding, illness in children, well child exams, and immunizations.
Parents have the chance to earn points for healthy behaviors such as: reading to your baby, taking your child to a doctor's appointment, attending Lamaze classes, signing up for WIC, attending a dental exam during pregnancy.
Incentive items are available for “purchase” at the end of each class. Items include: diapers, wipes, car seats, strollers, thermometers, diaper bags, breastfeeding supplies, bottles, and safe age-appropriate baby toys.
Class dates and topics are listed below. You can also follow the Tama County Maternal and Child Health Facebook page for more up to date information.